...he looked over the edge...into infinity...and there in front of him was what he'd been searching for...a peanut butter sandwich...with jelly...he knew the search would continue until he found...milk.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Drinkin' black coffee from a paper cup...and smokin' 40 cigarettes...

Have been listening to John Lee Hooker, hence the title. Lyrics from 'Along the waterfront'.

In my case the coffee cup holds bourbon and I don't smoke. Maybe a cigar on occasion, but those are few and far between. The bourbon is a daily tonic. Used or abused as the situation warrants.

Reading alot lately. Currently reading Collapse by Jared Diamond. He wrote Guns, Germs and Steel and having read that a while back, I was inclined to try this. Have not been disappointed. Mr. Diamond is an excellent writer and works very hard to make you understand what the implications are for the information that he is passing on to you.

Finished, Secret Origins of the Bible by Tim Callahan. An excellent guide to the mythology that surrounds and is included in the Bible. I do not regret the time spent reading this. If only because it gave me that one bit of cocktail chatter info that is just delicious to lay out there when some holier than thou gets to going on about end times and Revelations...666 is the number of Nero Caesar, "the number of a man." The beast has come and gone. For a more complete explanation I suggest you read the book.

Daniel Dennett wrote Darwins Dangerous Idea, I am working through that also. This is an off and on thing. It is a very complete explanation of Darwin and evolution. I am 7/8 done with it. More of a background info thing than anything else.

Am in the middle of Theocracy in America, authors name slips my mind, though I am not reading this one. It is an audio book. I have become addicted to these books that you can listen to while driving to work and home. My commute is a measely 15 to 20 minutes but it all adds up and I am not forced to listen to radio music or repetitious CD mixes. Have felt an undeniable urge, of late, to learn. I guess that is why the titles are what they are.

Don't get me wrong I read a fiction book just a while back. My daughter passed it along to me, but for the life of me, I can not remember the title. I do remember that it was a pleasant break from my regular list.

No comments: