...he looked over the edge...into infinity...and there in front of him was what he'd been searching for...a peanut butter sandwich...with jelly...he knew the search would continue until he found...milk.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Religion a viral meme?

...the religion as a viral meme came to me last nite...nothing was fleshed out...it just made an impression and moved on...but I could not get the idea out of my mind...much of what I have been reading of late has been on evolutionary mode.
Richard Dawkins, Selfish Gene
Daniel Dennett, Darwins Dangerous Idea
Just finishing Dennett...Dawkins' Selfish Gene was a pleasure to read and Dawkins uses the meme theme in explaining some of his ideas. I am sure that he referenced religion as a meme. What struck me was the viral part...what if religion is a destructive virus? A meme that has become bred into the human race. The many varieties religion, even among one of the same theme, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhist the list could almost be endless. But that is my point...the many varieties of religion is very close to the drug factor today...not all drugs have the same effect on all the people the same.

No comments: