...he looked over the edge...into infinity...and there in front of him was what he'd been searching for...a peanut butter sandwich...with jelly...he knew the search would continue until he found...milk.

Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Bowl Sunday...

Yes, I did end up at McGuires for the Super Bowl. I had debated whether to go down there or not to watch the game. I do have a history of when watching games that I have a favorite in, that the team I like loses. I came to the conclusion that this attitude was absurd. To think that I have any influence on events like these just by viewing them on tv would be the height of that absurdity. Making me God like in a twisted sort of way.

I know for a fact that I am not a God. So this is a assinine viewpoint.

I got to McGuires after 4 so the game was well under way. I think of the dozen or so people there, 9 favored NYG to win and only 3 for NE. There is an underdog underground in America. We love winners. We worship perfection. Yet the majority in that bar were pulling for the underdog. Perhaps it is not so much an underdog thing as an anti-hubris factor. When winning becomes the norm (and seemingly easy) for a team/person/country...am thinking we all have that kernel of doubt that winning always is a good thing...that they should be brought down a notch, that losing would actually be a good thing for them...the building character thing. I do not know.

This was a game that will for some time be the yardstick to measure future Super Bowls against.

So...I did watch the game. Yes, the team I wanted to win, lost. These facts are indesputable.

What now?

I AM THE GREAT AND TERRIBLE OZ!!!

No comments: