...he looked over the edge...into infinity...and there in front of him was what he'd been searching for...a peanut butter sandwich...with jelly...he knew the search would continue until he found...milk.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Pop died 7/28/05, Thursday morning. Moms side of the family had scheduled a family reunion for 7/29 and 30. This is an ongoing reunion on a 2 year cycle. Once, every other year on the last weekend of July we all get together. A different family hosts the reunion each time.
The Friday night get together was cancelled once and later relocated and rescheduled. Saturday we all gathered at Greg and Erins'. Food was plentiful. I did not count all the relatives but there were some that I had not seen before. Little ones abounded. It was a needed respite from the past few days.

We left the reunion early to go see Pop at the funeral home. Mom, my sisters and brother and their spouses, my wife and I were to meet there. This will be a closed casket funeral. Dad is in state (on display) up at the front of the chapel. We decided that if anyone wanted to see him they could come in Saturday or Sunday and say their goodbyes. Our thinking was that Pop would not like all those people looking at him at the funeral. In thinking about it now, I can not see the difference between him setting there for two day and having mourners file past on Monday. Anyway...we all came in to view him. Using each other for moral support.

By the time my wife and I arrived, all the rest were already up at the casket. Mom broke down several times over the course of the visit. This has not been easy for her. I wish I could take away some of the hurt. I can't.

Just before leaving the hospital room after Pop had been officially pronounce dead I kissed him on the forehead and said goodbye. The warmth of life was still with him. I can still feel the warmth. At the funeral home, Saturday, I leaned over and kissed his forehead again. This time he was cold. This time the fact that he was dead began to make its way into my psyche.

We have some things to take care of today. To get ready for the service. The women have many things that they think need to be done at the services to honor Pop. I am hoping that I honored him enough while he lived. As is probably usual I feel that I failed in that respect.

No comments: